Ludovic Highman is a Senior Research Associate on CGHE’s local higher education engagement research programme.
Ludovic has previously worked at Trinity College, Dublin, the College of Europe, Bruges, Kobe University (Brussels European Centre), and University College West Flanders. He holds a PhD in Higher Education Policy from Trinity College, Dublin, and an MPhil in International Relations from the University of Cambridge.
Through a number of institution-level case studies in a selected group of higher education institutions, incorporating sector differentiation in status, size, teaching and/or research focus, resources and geographical location, Ludovic’s PhD assessed the relevance of the so-called ‘binary divide’ in characterising the Irish higher education system, and the degree of mission differentiation between Irish higher education institutions.
His research interests include evolving higher education internationalisation strategies, Europeanisation, the European Union’s internal and external engagement in higher education policy-making, mission differentiation and institutional diversity, comparative higher education systems and science diplomacy.
CGHE research projects
Select recent publications
- The European Union’s Modernisation Agenda for Higher Education and the Case of Ireland, Peter Lang, College of Europe Studies, Volume 20, 2018
- The EU’s external engagement in higher education: Externalizing the Bologna Process, in Sieglinde Gstöhl, Simon Schunz and Chad Damro, eds., The European Union’s Evolving External Engagement: Towards New Sectoral Diplomacies? Abingdon: Routledge, 2018
- Creating national champions in France: a little less égalité, a little more sélectivité?, International Higher Education, Number 92, pp.27-29, 2018
- with John Walsh, ‘Modernising Higher Education? The influence of European and international agendas on differentiation in the mission and roles of higher education institutions in Ireland’, Trinity Education Papers, Volume II, 2013
- Will the UK get a Brexit deal on research? That’s the €160bn question, The Guardian, Higher Education Network, 5 December 2017
- Put UK universities at the centre of free trade deals, University World News, Issue No: 471, 25 August 2017
- University staff demographics: the fabric of UK universities at risk from Brexit, Centre for Global Higher Education policy briefings, Policy briefing 6, 20 April 2018
- EU students at UK universities: patterns and trends, Centre for Global Higher Education policy briefings, Policy briefing 5, 5 April 2018
- Redefining a Post-Brexit EU-UK Partnership in Research and Higher Education, College of Europe Policy Brief series, #6.18, April 2018
- Creating a new relationship in research, science, and innovation with the EU, Centre for Global Higher Education policy briefings, Policy briefing 3, 1 November 2017
- Brexit and the issues facing UK higher education, Centre for Global Higher Education policy briefings, Policy briefing 2, 27 July 2017
- The European Union’s modernisation agenda for universities: the rising stars of French higher education, College of Europe Policy Brief series, 2016, #5.16, 2016
Selected opinion pieces
- with Simon Marginson, William Locke and Vassiliki Papatsiba, Article 50 one year on: higher education. London: The UK in a Changing Europe, March 2018