Nian Cai Liu is a Co-Investigator on CGHE’s global higher education engagement research programme.
Nian Cai is Professor and Dean of the Graduate School of Education at Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China. His research interests include world-class universities and research universities, university evaluation and academic ranking, and globalisation and internationalisation of higher education. He developed the annual Academic Ranking of World Universities in 2003, which is now closely watched all over the world.
CGHE research projects
- Local and global public good contributions of higher education: a comparative study in six national systems
- Internationalisation of HE as a public good: a comparative study in four national systems
Select recent publications
- Matching visibility and performance: a standing challenge for world-class universities
Sense Publishers, October 2016
- ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Disciplines 2016: engineering
CGHE working paper, August 2016
- Conditions and opportunities for new faculty in higher education in mainland China
Young faculty in the twenty-first century: international perspectives, May 2015
- The story of academic ranking of world universities
International Higher Education, 2015