William Locke is Deputy Director of the Centre for Global Higher Education, and is a Co-Investigator on CGHE’s local higher education engagement research programme.
William is Reader in Higher Education Studies at UCL Institute of Education. His major research areas are higher education policy; the management and governance of HEIs, including mergers; academic work, careers and the profession; and the impact of rankings on HEIs.
CGHE research projects
- The future higher education workforce in locally and globally engaged HEIs
Select recent publications
- Changing governance and management in higher education: the perspectives of the academy
- ‘There is a world out there we can step into’: the University of Reading (UK) and the world rankings
The global academic rankings game: changing institutional policy, practice, and academic life, March 2016
- Shifting landscapes: meeting the staff development needs of the changing academic workforce
The Higher Education Academy, January 2016
- Paying the price of expansion: why more for undergraduates in England means less for everyone
Dimensions of marketisation in higher education, November 2015