Nian Cai Liu is a Co-Investigator on CGHE’s global higher education engagement research programme.
Nian Cai is Professor and Dean of the Graduate School of Education at Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China. His research interests include world-class universities and research universities, university evaluation and academic ranking, and globalisation and internationalisation of higher education. He developed the annual Academic Ranking of World Universities in 2003, which is now closely watched all over the world.
- ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Disciplines 2016: engineering
- Local and global public good contributions of higher education in China
- Inward international students in China and their contributions to global common goods
CGHE research projects
- Local and global public good contributions of higher education: a comparative study in six national systems
- Internationalisation of HE as a public good: a comparative study in four national systems
Select recent publications
- Rethinking Higher Education in China as a Common Good
Higher Education, 2019
- World-Class Universities: Towards a Global Common Good and Seeking National and Institutional Contributions
Leiden/Boston: Brill/Sense Publisher, 2019
- The Hierarchical Status of International Academic Awards in Social Sciences
- “Academic Ranking of World Universities: Methodologies and Trends”, invited chapter in Francisco J. Cantu-Ortiz, ed., Research Analytics: Boosting University Productivity and Competitiveness through Scientometrics
Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2017