Eileen Kennedy is a Senior Research Associate with CGHE based at UCL Knowledge Lab, where she is exploring the transformative potential of digital technologies in higher education. Her research focuses on developing learning design tools, scaling up online collaborative learning (e.g. through MOOCs) and researching the experience of learning online.
Eileen’s research centres on scaling up practice in online and blended learning, which involves developing learning design tools (with Diana Laurillard), creating teacher communities online (e.g. through MOOCs) and researching the experience of learning and teaching online.
She conducts Design Based Research to create and evaluate digital solutions to teaching problems, using a variety of mostly (but not exclusively) qualitative research methods.
In addition to her research for CGHE, Eileen is also a Senior Research Associate with the RELIEF centre where she is investigating the potential of scaling up online learning to create inclusive prosperity in the context of mass displacement.
- A MOOC Value Creation Methodology
- Investigating the transformative potential of MOOCs for professional development on the large scale
- CGHE 2020 Annual Conference webinar: Academic work and careers online and offline
CGHE research project
Select recent publications
- A Co-design Methodology for Blended Teacher Professional Development in Contexts of Mass Displacement
NORRAG SPECIAL ISSUE 02 Data collection and evidence building to support education in emergencies, 2019
- The potential of MOOCs for large-scale teacher professional development in contexts of mass displacement
London Review of Education, 2019
- Using technology to develop teachers as designers of TEL: Evaluating the learning designer
British Journal of Educational Technology, 2018
- Digital Education and the Connected Curriculum: Towards a Connected Learning Environment
Developing the Higher Education Curriculum: Research-Based Education in Practice, UCL Press 2017
- ‘Not the same person anymore’: groupwork, identity and social learning online
Distance Education, 1-14, 2017