Ariane de Gayardon is a Research Associate on CGHE’s social and economic impact of higher education research programme.
Ariane holds a PhD in higher education from Boston College, where she worked as a research assistant at the Center for International Higher Education. She is also a graduate from the Université Paris Ouest Nanterre and the École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Saint Étienne.
Ariane’s PhD analysed the relationship between free tuition policies and access in higher education in Latin America. More specifically it looked at the difference in participation, college choice and attrition in Chile before its move to free tuition, and Argentina and Brazil, two countries with free tuition higher education. During her time at the Center for International Higher Education, Ariane also worked on internationalisation issues.
Ariane was recently appointed Associate Editor of the Journal of Studies in International Education.
- Graduate indebtedness: its perceived effects on behaviour and life choices – a literature review
- Research findings: Graduate indebtedness: its perceived effects on behaviour and life choices – a literature review
- Who borrows for higher education? The determinants of student debt in England
- The (many) realities behind free tuition higher education: a global perspective
CGHE research project
Recent select publications
- (Forthcoming 2019) Free higher education, myths and realities
Encyclopedia of international higher education systems and institutions, Springer, Netherlands
- Free Higher Education: Mistaking Equality and Equity
International Higher Education, Fall 2017
- The long-term mobility of international faculty: A literature review
In International Faculty in Higher Education: Comparative Perspectives on Recruitment, Integration, and Impact (pp. 15-31), New York: Routledge, 2017
- Global dimensions of the Boston College Lynch School of Education: Analysis of a faculty survey
CIHE Perspectives No.2, 2016
- Chilean universities: not so tuition-free after all
International Higher Education, 86, 23-25, 2016
Areas of expertise
- Free tuition higher education
- Financing higher education
- International higher education