Claire Callender is Deputy Director of the Centre for Global Higher Education, and leads CGHE’s social and economic impact of higher education research programme.
Claire is Professor of Higher Education Studies at UCL Institute of Education and at Birkbeck, University of London. Her research, writing and policy advice are focused on student finances in higher education and related issues. Claire was awarded an OBE in the New Years Honours 2017.
Claire’s full profile is available on Birkbeck’s website.
- The entry and experience of private providers of higher education in six countries
- English and American higher education access and completion policy regimes: similarities, differences and possible lessons
- Graduate indebtedness: its perceived effects on behaviour and life choices – a literature review
- Research findings: Graduate indebtedness: its perceived effects on behaviour and life choices – a literature review
- Who borrows for higher education? The determinants of student debt in England
- What is a university education and where is it going? Critical reflections by David Willetts and two respondents
CGHE research projects
Select recent publications
- de Gayardon, A., Callender, C. and Green, F. (2019) The determinants of student loan take-up in England, Higher Education volume 78, 965–983
- Callender, C (2019) Post-18 Education and Funding in England, International Higher Education, (99), 13-15.
- Callender, C and Dougherty, K. (2018) Student Choice in Higher Education—Reducing or Reproducing Social Inequalities? Social Science, 7:10:1-28; doi:10.3390/socsci7100189
- Callender, C. (2018) Student mothers in higher education. In P.J. Burke, A. Hayton and J. Stevenson (eds) Evaluating Equity and Widening Participation in Higher Education. London:Trentham Books, 88-110.
- Callender, C and Thompson, J. (2018) The lost part-timers:The decline of part-time undergraduate higher education in England, London: Sutton Trust
- Callender, C. (2018) Stop the decline in part-time undergraduate study, Wonkhe
- Callender, C. (2018) Lifelong learning? Part-time undergraduate provision is in crisis, THE
- Callender, C and Mason, G. (2017) Does student loan debt deter higher education participation? New evidence from England, The Annals of American Political and Social Science, 671 (1): 20-48.
- Callender, C. (2017) Part-time student numbers are plummeting-here’s why, Prospect
- Callender, C. (2017) Fear of debt really is deterring the poorest from university, Wonkhe
- Callender, C. (2017) Poorer students aren’t applying to university because of fears of high debts, The Conversation
- Callender, C. (2017) High Participation in Higher Education, Implications for Funding. In J.C.Shin & P. Teixeira (Eds.) Encyclopaedia of International Higher Education Systems and Institutions, Springer Netherlands online
- Callender, C. (2017) Cost-sharing and student support. In P. Scott, J. Gallacher, and G. Parry (eds) New Languages and Landscapes of Higher Education, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 103-126.
- Scott, P and Callender, C. (2017) United Kingdom: From binary to confusion. In P. Altbach, L. Reisberg, and H. de Wit (eds) Responding to Massification: Differentiation in Postsecondary Education Worldwide. Hamburg:The Körber Foundation, 121-130.
- Callender, C (2017) Access for all. In Kate Murray (ed) Life Lessons: A National Education Service that leaves no adult behind. London: Fabian Society, 16-18.